I make a couple of soups at the beginning of each week and then keep them in the fridge. They make a cheap, healthy and nutritious lunch. Plus nice and warming in cold weather.
Tomato and mixed bean soup
Recipe type: lunch, dinner
- choice of vegetables
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes (you can also add 2 tbsps of tomato purée but I didn't have any)
- 1 tin of mixed beans, drained
- 1 stock cube
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- salt and pepper
- green olives
- Chop all of the vegetables to a fine dice or if like me you are short of time pulse them in a food processor
- Add to a pan along with the garlic finely sliced or crushed. You can sauté these first in a little olive oil but I didn't have time today
- Add two tins of chopped tomatoes (you can also add 2 tbsps of tomato purée but I didn't have any)
- A one tin of mixed beans, drained
- Add a stock cube. I like beef with tomato as it has a deep flavour but you can add vegetable or chicken.
- Now you can decide whether to make it with Moroccan or Italian flavours. I chose Moroccan so I added 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground cumin and ½ tsp ground coriander. If Italian add a bay leaf. Season.
- Add one can of water and stir. Cook for about 30 mins stirring occasionally
- As I went with Moroccan flavours I added some green olives. If you want Italian flavours add some fresh or frozen basil
- Serve immediately or cool and store in the fridge in an air tight container