This is great served with my Thai green chicken curry in place of rice. No steamer needed! I originally got the idea of steaming veg this way from Jamie Oliver.
Steamed Asian Green Beans
Recipe type: Side, Dinner, Lunch
- Your choice of greens (I used tenderstem broccoli and asparagus)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- squeeze of lime juice
- pinch of chilli powder
- You can choose any greens but I started by placing some Tenderstem broccoli in a colander over a pan of simmering water. Make sure the bottom doesn't touch the water. This is your 'steamer'
- Tightly wrap the colander in tin foil to trap in all of the steam and allow the simmering water beneath to steam the veg. Leave for about 3 mins
- Add any greens which take less time to cook such as asparagus and put the tin foil back on to trap in the steam. Leave to cook for another 3 mins
- Meanwhile mix up a dressing of 2 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil and a squeeze of lime juice. Add a pinch of chilli powder if you'd like a bit of a kick. Toss the cooked hot veg in the dressing
- Serve immediately
Serving size: 1