I’ve read a few times about using ribbons of courgette (zucchini) as an alternative to pasta for a healthier meal so decided to give it a go and here are the results!
Parmesan Chicken with 'Pasta'
Recipe type: dinner, lunch
- 1 rasher of bacon
- four chopped mushrooms
- olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 chicken breast per person
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 courgette per person
- 1 clove of garlic
- zest of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of low fat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard (or wholegrain)
- handful of shredded spinach
- Start by frying one rasher of bacon and about four chopped mushrooms per person in a little olive or rapeseed oil
- Once brown remove from the pan and put to one side
- Take one chicken breast per person and bang it flat. Dip in some beaten egg (or egg white) and sprinkle with Parmesan and salt and pepper
- Fry in the pan turning occasionally until cooked through. Depending on the thickness it'll take about 5 mins on each side
- In the meantime use a vegetable peeler to create ribbons of courgettes. You'll need one courgette per person
- Boil these in salted water for two minutes and drain
- Leave the water to drain off. This will be your 'pasta'
- Once the chicken is done remove it from the pan and put it to one side to rest
- Put the mushrooms and bacon back in the pan along with a crushed clove of garlic and the zest of a lemon
- Add a tablespoon of low fat cream cheese. I used Philadelphia, add a teaspoon of Dijon mustard (or wholegrain) and stir well
- Add a handful of shredded spinach and a little parmesan
- Stir in the courgettes with a little lemon juice and serve immediately. Don't cook the courgettes for too long as they will get too soft.
- Serve the chicken on top of the 'pasta' with a little more Parmesan grated over. Yum!