Such and autumnal warming porridge recipe. Enjoy!
Porridge with Spiced Apple
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 50g of porridge
- non dairy milk
- half a tablespoon of bran (optional)
- 1 apple
- a couple of dates
- squeeze of lemon
- half a teaspoon of ground spices (I used cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger)
- Start by taking around 50g of porridge which is about two small handfuls or half of this glass. Add this to a pan (or a bowl if you prefer to use the microwave)
- And add double the amount of water or non dairy milk. I don't like the taste of non dairy milk when it's been boiled so I don't add any until the end.
- There are plenty of non dairy milks to chose from but almond milks health benefits seem to outweigh others. Pick carefully as many are loaded with sugar/corn syrup. I used unsweetened from Waitrose
- I also add about half a tablespoon of bran which you can buy from health food shops and is a great source of fibre. This is optional.
- Then place the pan on a medium low heat and simmer for about 5 mins, stirring occasionally. If you prefer you can put the porridge in the microwave. This will take around 2 mins on full power.
- While the porridge is cooking. Take the core from a quartered apple and dice
- Finely chop a couple of dates
- Add a squeeze of lemon and your choice of ground spices. About half a teaspoon in total. I used cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Either cook it separately in pan or micro or in with the porridge.
- Even with just water the porridge will go fairly creamy. I then add my non dairy milk. Just enough to get the texture you like.
- I then top with the cooked apple mixture and add a little non dairy milk around the edge. Tasty!