This is a simple broth or soup and great for cold winter days. Full of nutritious ingredients.
Recipe type: Dinner, Lunch
- a little oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tin of flageolet beans
- couple of handfuls of barley (optional)
- chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- chicken thigh or leftover chicken
- splash of vinegar (optional)
- Start with the veg. No need to peel the carrots the peel is good for you. With the exception of the garlic either chop finely or do a Jamie Oliver and pulse in a food processor until chunky
- Sauté in a little oil. I use olive or rapeseed. The Italians call this a sofritto and it's a great base to soups and sauces. The aim is to soften but not to get too much colour
- Crush in two cloves of garlic or finely chopped garlic if you don't have a crusher
- Add a tin of flageolet beans, or I often make it with a couple of handfuls of barley. No need to soak but you will need to cook it for longer. Say an hour.
- Add the chicken stock and seasoning. I didn't have any fresh stock so used a stock cube. If you're using raw chicken add the thigh (whole) now. Cook for 30-45 mins until everything is soft
- If using leftover chicken add it now. If using a thigh, take it out, cool slightly, pull all of the meat off and put back in the pan in small pieces. Add parsley and a splash of vinegar (optional)
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed and serve in a big bowl. Enjoy!